Monday, July 12, 2010

Welcome

Hello and Welcome to all.


The Arab-American Relations Organization is a movement in progress, and it needs your help to find life. My goal in the creation of the AARO is to contribute, in any way possible, to the growth of new, strong bonds between everyday people in the U.S. and the many varying people of the Middle East.


I am a college student at the University of Iowa majoring in International Studies and Political Science, with a minor in Arabic. And after returning from a recent trip to Israel and the West Bank, I realized that perhaps the biggest tragedy in all Middle Eastern conflicts, is that both the Middle East and "the West" are misconstrued by each other. Now religion, politics and all other aspects aside, the treatment of the Palestinian people by the Israeli Government, which I witnessed with my own eyes, is what I can only describe as inhumane and cruel. However my experience in the United States is that many people are willing to overlook the basic facts of situations such as in Palestine because they do not, and perhaps do not wish to, put the effort into truly understanding and sympathizing with the Palestinian people. I personally believe that this is because a cultural gap has developed after the tragic events of 9/11 which has led many U.S. citizens stereotyping Arabs as all simply "terrorists". Even today when the word "Muslim" is said to an average working class American, a negative connatation is often implied. This is sad, as it is reminiscent of the past when the words "Russian", "German" and "Japanese" all carried the same feeling.


On the other hand, it is true that due to the United States' response to terrorist actions committed in its country as well as its support of countries which are unpopular in the Arab world, i.e. Israel, the U.S. is often looked at as the great oppresor of the Arab people; Colonialism all over again. This is also sad because it is also untrue . I say with the utmost confidence that the average U.S. citizen has no interest what so ever in controlling and opressing the Arab people, and it is this point that must be made known.



Therefore, I have an idea, a proposition and most importantly a dream. I trust that through the wonders of 21st century technology as well as the many good, hard working people that live in both the Arab and American communities that maybe, just maybe we can change how the world thinks. At a certain point it is time for politicians and governments to be bypassed; there is a point when the interests of the individual are much greater than the interests of the country. When it occurs that people of this earth can no longer say they trust, believe in and love millions if not billions of others on this planet it is time for action to be taken. And now is that time.



In upcoming posts I will hopefully be able to lay out to you and discuss future plans for this organization. However, therein lies the problem: for this organization, this dream to work it is essential that is fueled by the excitement and the enthusiasm of the people it is serving. Right now I am one person with a hope that I can help this world for the better. But I need as many people as possible to make this hope a reality. I am asking anyone, regardless of age, race, religious or political affiliation to help. This organization has a goal, now it needs people to make this goal possible. If you are willing to help in any way; in the development, implementation, financial stabillity etc. of this plan I am asking you now to email me at aaro@gmx.com or to follow me on Twitter and Facebook.




I am well aware that it may take time for this organization to get off the ground however I am asking you for your help for this to take place. Now is the time for action, for belief that a goal can become a reality, and in'shaallah (God willing) we can change this world for the better.



Remember "Fear builds walls, Hope builds bridges"



Until next time Ma'assalama (Go in Peace)



John Mahoney

No comments:

Post a Comment